Sunday, March 25, 2012

Late March - Spring time

Snowshoe hare
Sunday March 25th, 2012

Well Alaska is finally warming up (a balmy 36 degrees today).  After studying for the GREs all morning, I decided it was about time I make back outside and begin discover Alaska's wild side while not having to freeze my ass off (quite appreciated!).  It being late in the day already, I decided to just stick to the short refuge trail down to the lake before the lake thawed enough that I couldn't walk on it.


My whole time here in Alaska I've been obsessed with returning back to Idaho.  In turn, I haven't really experienced and enjoyed Alaska the way I should have.  Thankfully I've been given a second change and have another 6 months here, BUT, I only have 3 weeks left on the peninsula, which is unfortunate because the more I see and learn, the more I could easily see myself staying here for a couple years. :)

Life at last.


Anyway, my short walk was much needed.  It was sunny and the snow was melting, so the air actually smelled like spring (and felt like it).  My short "hike" didn't consist of much, and to my surprise, I didn't see any birds besides ravens, but it was good nonetheless.  My curious nature popped out as usual as I wondered about the tree and shrub species starting to make their return.  I'm excited to learn my wildflowers this summer!



I'm hopefully going on a hike Friday to Carter Lake with a new friend here, which will be fantastic.  My first time really exploring the Chugach National Forest.  Despite how excited I am to explore Denali National Park, I do hope I get to make back to the peninsula a good handful of times this summer.  Who knows - Maybe I'll stick around again this winter.




Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment