Thursday, March 29, 2012

Late March Beach Vacation

With the continuation of above freezing temperatures, melting snow, and the longer days, I decided it was finally time to take a trip to the beach.  :)

Mount Redoubt and the Gulls
The Kenai mudflats are cool.  Tide varies by 15-20 feet depending on the day and at low tide, a vast amount of mudflats are exposed.  I can only imagine in true spring the number of bird species that inhabit that stretch of habitat.  The day I went, only gulls were on the flats.



Ice on the beach


There's also still a LOT of ice on shore, which is even more cool.  Small pieces and melting pieces and pieces bigger than me.  All of them were brown mostly from the muddy sand on the beach, but they all were shaped different by the waved and melt.  Each had a story I'll never know.  It was neat.



Notice tripod against ice

The other cool thing about this beach is that to the north, you can see Mount Redoubt and the mountain range it's a part of.  Which makes sunset quite spectacular.  I've seen a lot of beach sunsets, but never a beach-mountain sunset combo.  It might be one of my favorites to date.


I sat on the beach for awhile and listed to the gentle waves hit the beach.  It was nice to hear the water again.  For a moment, it really did feel like being at home.

"Do you want to go to the seaside?
I'm not trying to say that everybody wants to go,
But I fell in love on the seaside."


No comments:

Post a Comment