Sunday, June 10, 2012

Week 5: Toklat, Denali, and Clemson University

Sunset: 12:12am
Sunrise: 3:50am

Week 5 was actually oddly busy.  And exhausting.  Monday was a lonely office day.  I worked through some odds and ends of tasks, but nothing particularly special.  Feeling exhausted and worn out, I took Tuesday off.  There wasn't much for me to do in the office anyway.

I spent Tuesday relaxing and baking cookies.  The day was plain until I got a call from Clemson University regarding a Research Assistantship I had applied for weeks earlier.  The call was to see if I was still interested, as I was being considered as a top candidate.  I couldn't believe it!  I don't want to jinx myself, so I'll update on that later if something more happens with it. :)  The rest of my Tuesday evening was spent freaking out about new possibilities.... and packing!

Wednesday night was spent deep in the park in Toklat.  Me and a co-worker spent wednesday and thursday doing road and wildlife surveys.  We didn't really see much, oddly enough.  But the park has been magnificently greening up to an almost full bloom.  Aaaaannndd... drum rooooooooll..... I finally saw Denali!  It wasn't 100% clear, but I'd call it 98% clear.  Which is pretty awesome!

Friday was spent back on the EVC bus.  The day started okay.  It's hard to get excited about a 6am bus when you're tired.... haha.  I went to take pictures 10 minutes into the bus ride and realized my batteries were dead.  At first I was bummed, but then I was excited to enjoy the day for what it was.  I love taking pictures.  But sometimes it's nice to just sit back, and take the mental pictures.  The day was dark and what most people would consider gloomy, but to me, it was breath-taking and renewing.  I needed one of those days.  The kind where you feel flat line, and the world around you kind of pauses with you.  It was nice.

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment