Monday, April 2, 2012

Sneek Peak : Denali National Park

I'm slowly getting more and more information about my next adventure: Sound work in Denali National Park, AK.  Which is great, seeing as that I start this job in roughly 5 weeks.  That also means I leave Soldotna, AK in about 2 and a half weeks, which makes me sad.

I've learned lots about my job and already approached my supervisors about additional projects I can volunteer with.  There's a good handful of them, so I have no doubt I will be keeping myself busy while in Denali.

I've also begun getting information about my housing, which is probably always my biggest wonder when headed to a new seasonal job.  My good luck in Alaska seems to be continuing though and my housing in Denali sounds Amazing.  A 2 bedroom cabin with a room all to myself.  I live alone here in my cabin in Soldotna but the cabin I'm in is one large room with bunk beds, so it will be nice to truly have a room to myself in Denali.

I'm not entirely certain I'll have cell service at my cabin, which would be quite a bummer, but it would also be nice.  I could use a disconnect from the world.  A break from my past that follows me.  It would also justify my ridiculous amount of letters I send.  :3  Ha.  Yeah, that will be nice.

I'm planning on shipping my mountain bike with me to Denali as well.  With the surplus of sunlight, it should make for a nice treat to get to see some of the park via bicycle.  I'm pretty excited.  But for when the evenings aren't good for biking or I'm just not up to it, it sounds like NPS has us seasonals covered.  We have what sounds like a really awesome rec hall AND we can volunteer to help take care of the sled dogs.

I think one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to about staying in Alaska is that I still have friends here, that either I can go visit or they can come visit me.  Which is foreign to me mostly in my travels and field world.  Alaska for once really is starting to feel like home.

"You'll never know dear how much you breathe
Strength and courage into me
And as the day comes closer to an end
I find no reason to pretend"

No comments:

Post a Comment